Project Semaphore, which is a Royal Naval Association initiative, reaches out to isolated veterans, who are judged by a BT Openreach survey to be worse off by at least £1,000 due to lack of access to the internet, and provides them with an iPad and iPad/internet familiarisation training. With modern and mobile technology, those previously isolated are now able to connect with their friends and regain some of their independence.
Benefits of the project include:
- Ability to FaceTime or Skype family and friends
- Claim benefits, internet banking
- Order shopping when unable to get out
- Secured cheaper insurance, travel etc
- Can access Veteran's information and find out what is going on, stay connected
- Can get up-to-date entertainment such as BBC iPlayer
- Access to social media, Youtube, iBooks
The Soldiering On Awards recognise many inspirational people and teams; highlighting the outstanding achievements of current and former servicemen and women, their families and all those who support the Armed Forces Community.
Specifically, the People's Choice Award category recognises a person or group that has provided a significant contribution in support of the Armed Forces Community, with the winner selected by public vote.